A list of key dates in the development of archives and related bodies.
This list is for general 'foundings, transformations, and closings' of archives - the chronologies of specific archives should be put on their particular pages here or on the Archives Wiki equivalent.
- 1451 University of Glasgow founded - archives date back to this point (but some older).
- February 27, 1901 Alabama Department of Archives and History (ADAH)
- 1945 Archives of the Republic of Slovenia (ARS) created (based on earlier bodies).
- 1946 Archivo Histórico Provincial de Córdoba founded.
- 1965 Archives of the History of American Psychology established
- 1966 The Alabama Historical Commission created by an act of the state legislature
- The National Archives (United Kingdom) building at Kew, London, opened.
- July 1998 Archives of Indian Labour established.
- 2003 The National Archives created by merging the Public Record Office and the Historical Manuscripts Commission.
- March 2008 Family Records Centre, Islington, closed.